February 1, 2007

Something New to Knit

Guess what I made?? Betcha can't! Give it a try... give up? Ok, well, I made......a SCARF!! Surprise. But, this particular scarf involves an actual pattern. I did more than just garter stitch. It took me 5 starts, and 5 frogging of said scarf, before I actually got the hang of it. Here it is in all it's beautiful glory:






I used Nashua "Creative Focus Chunky" which is 75% Wool and 25% Alpaca. I weaved in some silk embroidery ribbon for a little extra umph. It's super warm, super soft, and would make an excellent throw blanket. If I had about $120 which is what it would take to make it with this yarn. Hence the scarf!

The best part is that I was following a pattern, but when I talked to Shannon at the shop to help me with a mistake, I realized that I was actually adding in a stitch. Originally it was supposed to be K1, YO, K2Tog. However, what I was actually doing was K1, YO, K1, K2Tog. Funny how mistakes in knitting turn into 'design elements'.

My next project may be a cabled hat - I will learn two new skills, hat making and cabling. Two things I am very much looking forward to doing.




No comments: